Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Kitchen updates


So if you haven't seen my kitchen before, we have a very farmhouse-meets-beach house style. It started off as your boring, and dated builder grade kitchen. We came in, and gave it a complete overhaul. We added an additional cabinet, made faux reclaimed wood counter tops, added a backsplash, and beefed up the island. You can see where it all started, and how we completed it all here, and here.
I feel like Im always tweaking something at my house, changing it up, moving it around. I'm sure I'm making my husband crazy! At my most recent trip to the Round Top antiques fair, I picked up some fun goodies for the house. If you don't know about this show, you have to check it out. It's days worth of antiques, salvage, and reclaimed goodies. It goes on twice a year, in the spring and fall. If your any where near south Texas, or can there easily, it is TOTALLY worth staying in a crappy motel for. Last year I went with my aunt, and parents. This year I went with one of my closest friends and her mom. We stayed for three days, and didn't even see it all. Make sure to book early though, rooms fill up the year before in some places. We ended up at a bad motel, but margaritas in town and lots of shopping, made up for it.  


I try not to have to much on my counters, as far as decor goes. But it is weird having empty spaces on the counter, so there is something in most of the corners. 

I love to bake, so my mixer needs to be front a center. And hey it's the perfect shade of blue, so it's decor as well. I grabbed some different sizes of jars, at the Container Store, and filled them with my necessities. These days chalkboard stuff is everywhere, but I picked these up some time ago at World Market. They are just chalk board stickers. Micheal's, and Hobby Lobby carry several similar versions. 



For something a bit cleaner looking, check out this awesome tutorial on The Painted Hive, for these water slide decals.

Also check out these easy, and free printables from Lia Griffith. If you need any sort of label, tag, or sticker, she is sure to have an amazing selection.

Both much nicer, and fancier than mine, but free time, is not something I have much of these days. 


One of my favorite Round Top goodies this year, was this "Black Metal Thingy". Yes, this is the technical term, for now anyways. Most likely a time card holder, but I havent bothered to research it quite yet. If you know...let me know :) 

It has spring loaded holders, and I thought it would be great to display little notes, or cards. You could change the items out for the season. It fit perfectly over the stove, I just hung it with some fishing line to save the back splash from holes.   

Another find, was this fun little pot. I needed something to hold spoons, and one that would fit on my little plate. It's missing a lid, which I wouldn't have used anyways, so it was the perfect piece. 


Finding this chalkboard was a happy accident. I searched high and low last year, while shopping with my parents. I was looking for a cool old cutting board. I couldn't find one that wasn't the same color as my counter, or not shaped like a pig. As we were loading up our treasures on our last day, my mom spied this little guy. It wasn't old, but it was the perfect piece. It has more character than a plain old cutting board anyways. 

I made an attempt at some chalkboard art, with a quote from Julia Child. 

At one of the very overpriced areas of Round Top, I found some old silverware molds. I won't admit how much I paid for it, but I had to have it. It weighs a ton. I love the aged look of it, and the half of a cool old pattern. I'd love to find a piece that actually matched this and have it sitting on top. Maybe on my next trip. 

The scale was from a great little store in Colorado, but you can find these all over the place. The top was pretty small, and it really served no function. I don't need to weigh stuff very often...ok never! 
I found a small basket, and my husband attached the two together, now it serves a purpose, and looks good doing it. 


Well that's it for my kitchen goodies. I'm sure it will all change soon enough, it's a bad (and expensive) habit.
Next week, I'll show you what we did with the cabinet we added onto the kitchen!

Here are some previous pictures of our kitchen, be sure to check out the step by step tutorial on making these easy and inexpensive counter tops





4 comments :

  1. Your kitchen is beautiful, Allyson! I love the island painted red and your range hood is gorgeous. Such a difference from your before picture. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brandi! Well love it, and more so knowing all that went into it.

      Delete
  2. Your kitchen is beautiful!!!
    I have oak cabinets, can you tell me how and what you used on your cabinets? I'm ready for a change and I fell in live with the pictures of your kitchen! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy to have found your blog! Your kitchen looks beautiful! thanks

    ReplyDelete